Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Bringing Glory To God

Good Morning!

This has been an exciting playoff season to say the least. No blowouts here! Sunday’s game between the Patriots and the Colts appeared at first to be the first blowout, but something happened. I don’t know what Coach Dungee said at half time, but I’d like to have been a fly on the wall. I might have gotten some good sermon material.

What did provide me with material was the team’s owner and CEO and Coach Dungee’s remarks after the win. They had just crafted the biggest comeback ever in a conference championship. They had just won the right to play for a world championship. That should buy some rights to be a little cocky, some bragging rights. Some right to feel like a great coach and CEO who had done their job well putting together a great team of players and coaches. But the first words out of both their mouths were giving God the Glory, thanking the Lord for ability to do what they did. I swelled with pride. In a 21st century America that tries in every way to quiet Christians and silence our testimony two men stand up in an arena where they could have boasted of their own skills (and with justification) and give God the glory.

In the sixth century, when St. Benedict wrote, "Do all for the glory of God," work in itself was considered valuable. “Treat even the pots and pans reverently as holy objects because God is found in all things,” Benedict counseled. Today, monks continue to serve God through work as varied as growing produce and raising chickens to teaching children and counseling adults. Benedict was onto something. Some of you are reading this as you prepare to begin you day feeling like you do what you do just to bring home “the bacon.” Well, while that is important, more importantly you can bring glory to God.

It's not so much what we do as how we do it. Ron Berges, a lawyer who with his wife, Jody, is an oblate at St. Andrew's Abbey in California, describes how he works to bring the principles of the Benedictine Rule to his law practice: "I have a duty to my clients to watch out for their best interest. But I also have a higher obligation to God," he explains. "I am always trying to do the right thing, so if my clients are on the wrong side of something, I encourage them toward the right side. If I am faced with a conflict, I try to bring resolution. When dealing with my employees, I try to rule with a gentle hand and listen to people before I make decisions that have an impact on them."

Yes, everything we do brings glory (or shame) to God or to man. If we will give the glory to God He will give us our due. He promised to “supply all our need according to His riches in Christ Jesus.” Let us recognize that while we get up before daylight to begin a day of work and often work until the sun have set on the opposite side of the land it really is God that owns it all and deserves the glory for it all.

When I feel I deserve honor help me remember...

“Pride first, then the crash, but humility is precursor to honor.” Proverbs 18:12 (MSG)

“The payoff for meekness and Fear-of-God is plenty and honor and a satisfying life.” Prov. 22:4 (MSG)

“Pride lands you flat on your face; humility prepares you for honors.” Proverbs 29:23 (MSG)

Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank you for examples like Coach Dungee and the Colt’s team owner (who did such a good job giving You honor I can’t remember his name) that remind us we all have a higher calling that whatever we do in life... to honor You and bring glory to You while we “bring home the bacon.” Give me a fresh sense of purpose in my life today. AMEN.

Blessings!
Pastor Roger

No comments: