Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Time

“Something will master and something will serve. Either you run the day or the day runs you; either you run the business or the business runs you.” – Jim Rohn

Either you conquer your fears or your fears will conquer you. Either you overcome worry or worry will drain you of energy you need to live and serve. Either you will be in control of life or life will run you ragged. I see it often and you do too. People have that “opportunity of a lifetime.” This is their chance to make in life, to accomplish their dreams, to make their million, the chance to be in control of their life. Only to watch them become consumed by the new business venture or opportunity and see their “life” fade away into the oblivion of activity.

I often hear people say (and I have said as well), “I know I need to ______________ but I just don’t have the time. Ecclesiastes 3:1 says, “There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven.” (NIV) So the real answer is not that we “don’t have time” for whatever. It is simply a matter of having spent the time on something else. If I do not have time to do something that I should be doing then I am spending my time on something I should not be doing. Let’s face it, we cannot do everything so we must determine what we SHOULD be doing and do it. Someone said, “Time is our most valuable asset, yet we tend to waste it, kill it, and spend it rather than invest it.”

Time is like money in this sense. When you spend it, it’s gone. You only have what it may have purchased and that will either wear our or lose our interest. If you invest it you have the money invested plus what it will produce.

Time is however different than money in this sense. You can get more money, but you can’t get more time. When it is passed it is gone and can never be retrieved or replaced. As we begin this day we all have the same time to use, waste, or invest.

I find that it helps me immensely in the use of my time if I begin the day (the investment of my time) by giving the first part of the day to prayer and meditation on the things of God. Prayer, just spending time with God and listening to Him as He speaks by impressions to my heart or speaks to me through the Word, the Bible, or through others.

The way that I begin the day sets the tone and even the course for the rest of the day. So, those first few minutes are key to the rest of the day. How I invest them determines how productive I will be.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, help me to be a wise investor of time. Help me balance my life in work and worship, rest and play. I want the way I spend my time, my life to honor You and please You. Give me clear vision today to know what You want me to do. Give me great courage to do just that and avoid, say “NO,” to the time robbers. I have limited time and do not have time to mourn over lost time. Help me move on from here turning failures into lessons and do the very best that I can with Your divine help everyday. AMEN.

Blessings!
Pastor Roger

No comments: