Tuesday, April 10, 2007

What is Success?

Since the message this coming Sunday in the “LOST” series is “Finding Real Success” I thought I’d share the following quotes.

“Success is neither magical nor mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying basic fundamentals.”

“There are no new fundamentals. You've got to be a little suspicious of someone who says, ‘I've got a new fundamental.’ That's like someone inviting you to tour a factory where they are manufacturing antiques.”

“Some things you have to do every day. Eating seven apples on Saturday night instead of one a day just isn't going to get the job done.”

“Success is nothing more than a few simple disciplines, practiced every day; while failure is simply a few errors in judgment, repeated every day. It is the accumulative weight of our disciplines and our judgments that leads us to either fortune or failure.”

I believe that success can be simply defined as discovering God’s will and plan for my life and doing it with enthusiasm and excellence.

A few other people in life have had plans for me that I wasn’t too enthusiastic about. You know what I am talking about? I was at one time a single, itinerant preacher from the age of 19 to 23. Then it was not uncommon for pastors to house me in their homes. I often went to small churches without big budgets or country churches that it was a long trip to the nearest motel. It wasn’t uncommon for some well meaning soul to try to match me up with the “girl of my dreams” if you know what I mean. Sometimes it was the pastor hosting me for a revival meeting so I had to play it carefully, but I was never to enthusiastic about someone else trying to arrange that part of my life. And none of them worked out until Debbie came along. I soon learned that this was the one God had prepared for me and me for her. I succeeded in that part of my life... I discovered God’s will and plan and carried it out on May 28, 1977 with enthusiasm and excellence.

I have not always succeeded in everything, but as you mature and learn the benefits of following God’s plan you learn it is much less painful and much more rewarding to just do it God’s way. He does have a plan for all of us. Nobody gets left out. “For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV) And you know, I am just simple enough to believe if I ask God to show me His plan for my life that He will do it. In fact, I have proven that He does through the years in my life. There is no more secure feeling, no more satisfying feeling than knowing you are doing what He carefully designed and shaped you to do.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, reveal to me each day Your plan and design for my life. Help me never to set aside Your plan for my own, but if I do don’t give up on me. Just keep helping me grow and mature and become all that You desire for me. AMEN.

Blessings!
Pastor Roger

No comments: