Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Secret

The big secret in life is that there is no big secret. Whatever your goal, you can get there if you're willing to work. —Oprah Winfrey

Now, if you have been around LIFEchurch you know that while I have a high respect for Oprah Winfrey, and believe she is a good woman with great leadership skills who is maybe one of the greatest givers of all time her theology is messed up. I get concerned about the gullible people who hear her say that there are many ways to God that include all the religions of the world. That is dooming many who believe her to an eternity in hell because there is only one way to God... Jesus Christ.

Anyway, I say that just so you will know that I don’t promote everything she says because I believe she got it right on one issue. So, there you have it. That said... she has it right on the issue of work and success in this life. There is a book out called “The Secret.” It has drawn national attention. I have not read the book in its entirety, but from the excerpts I have gotten by emails, on the web, etc. I can tell that for the most part the principles promoted are simple, basic life principles. They are even Biblical principles. There are many motivational speakers and books out there that teach these principles, but they are communicated in a way that anyone of any religion can benefit. And they work because they are God’s law. They are like the law of gravity. It works whether I believe in God or not. If I go up, I must come down. Things like hard work, a positive attitude, integrity, and honesty will move one to success in life. You can become rich, have nice houses, a big retirement, lots of money to spend on very nice things, and live the “good life” even if you don’t believe there is a God.

Hard work will get you just about anywhere you want to go in life... except a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast.” Ephesians 2:8-9 (NIV)

I believe in living successful lives. I even believe that it is God’s will that we be successful and prosper while we live on this earth. But we must never forget that this is the shortest part of our existence no matter how many years we may live on this earth. Jesus talked about success oriented people spending their lives winning in the world, but forgetting the most important thing. “What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?” Mark 8:36 (NIV)

So you see, you can be successful, give away millions... even billions, bless people on every hand, be respected as a giving, compassionate, caring, and successful person; and still miss the most important “secret” of life.

“I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.” —Jesus Christ

If you have questions about a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, drop me an email or visit us at LIFEchurch.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank you for all the blessings in my life, but most of all thank you for eternal life, life beyond this life that will surpass any level of “success” I may experience here. Help me not to get so comfortable here and enjoy what I have now so much that I lose the anticipation for heaven. AMEN

If you don’t have a personal relationship with Jesus pray this simple prayer:

Lord Jesus, I am sinner that needs a Savior. You are the only one that can save my from my sins. Forgive me right now for every sin in my life. I believe You are the Son of God. I believe that You gave Your life on the cross for me. I believe that You died, but God raised You from the dead and You live today. I confess my sins to You now and accept the gift of salvation that You freely offer. Thank you for saving me and guide me to a church where I can grow in my new found faith. AMEN.

Blessings!
Pastor Roger

No comments: