Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Where's the Fruit?

Fruit doesn’t grow on the trunk of the tree. To find fruit you have to get out on a limb. Remember that old expression? Going out on a limb meant taking a risk, getting out of your comfort zone. Another word for it is faith. Doing something that we know will demand the involvement of God’s supernatural help. If I can do it then I don’t need God. Faith keeps me in a position that I need God and call on Him regularly. Maybe that why the Bible says that without faith it is impossible to please God.

On the other hand to bear fruit means I have to expand, to grow limbs that are reaching out. I can’t just stay to myself. I have several trees in my back yard. They grow either in or near the property line. Those trees don’t know where my property line is because they just grow right over my neighbors pasture. In fact, probably more of the tree hangs over the neighbors pasture than in my yard, but the tree is mine because the trunk in on my property. All of the fruit doesn’t fall in my yard either.

Psalms 1 says, “Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. 2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night. 3 He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers.” Psalms 1:1-3 (NIV)

We must as a church and as individuals be continually reaching out, letting our limbs be extended bearing fruit and dropping fruit in new places and to new people. We don’t bear fruit to benefit ourselves but others. I have never seen a tree eat the fruit it provides.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, I want to be a bearer, a producer of the fruit of the Spirit. Help me to grow limbs long and sturdy that will reach many people with this wonderful message (fruit) of hope and life in Jesus Christ. AMEN.

Blessings!
Pastor Roger

No comments: