Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Are You Accepted?

Romans 15:7 (NIV) Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God.

A child psychologist told about a boy brought to him for treatment who was labeled "incorrigible." The child was supposed to be "uncontrollable." He was moody, and at first wouldn't even talk to the doctor. There simply seemed to be no "handle" with which to take hold of him. The boy's own father, said, "This is the only child I've ever seen who doesn't have a single likeable trait, not a single one."

Hearing the father’s statement the doctor realized this was his starting point. He started looking for something he could approve. He found several things. The boy liked to carve and he did it well. At home he had carved up the furniture and been punished for it. The doctor bought him a carving set, a set of carving knives, and some soft wood. He also gave him some suggestions about how to use them, and didn't hold back his approval. "You know, Jimmy," he said, "you can carve out things better than any boy I ever knew."

To make a long story short, the doctor soon found other things he could approve, and one day Jimmy surprised everyone by cleaning up his own room without being asked. When the doctor asked him why he did it, Jimmy answered, "I thought you would like that."

Acceptance changes lives. You and I have seen it happen in other situations with adults as well as young people. This is the strength of 12 Step Groups and other support groups. When people feel accepted, they find the power to change.

It’s a wonderful thing to be accepted. That is what Jesus did for us. He has accepted us with all our flaws and blemishes so that He could transform us through His love.

Ephesians 1:5-6 (KJV) To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

You may be rejected by many in this world, but you are “accepted in the beloved.” You may have been rejected by those closest to you, but you are “accepted in the beloved.” Your mother or father may have rejected you, but you are “accepted in the beloved.” Your spouse may have rejected, but you are “accepted in the beloved.” When you feel discouraged or the rejection comes crashing down on you just stop and say, “I am accepted in the beloved.” Of course “the beloved” is Jesus Christ. Consequently, I no longer strive to do what is right to avoid hell but to please Jesus. I spent a lot of my life just trying to avoid hell. It is so much more fulfilling to live to please Jesus (and avoid hell in the process). One day we will stand before Him and hear Him say, “Well done” and we can reply, “I thought You’d like that.”

Prayer: Lord Jesus, I want my life to bring pleasure to You. I want You to be pleased with what I do. Thank You for accepting me not because I changed, but so that You could change me. I love You and live to please You because you accepted me when I was not a pleasure. AMEN.

Blessings!
Pastor Roger

No comments: