Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Got a "Gut Feeling?"

I have been around church life for longer than I like to talk about most days. I have memories that go back 50 years. I have seen a lot of things, enjoyed many of them, questioned many of them, and rejected many of them. One thing that raises perhaps more questions in the church world than many other is what is “faith healers.” I have had people ask me if I consider myself a “faith healer.” Usually those with some scepticism in the matter ask that question. I have prayed putting my faith in God and His Word many times and have seen people healed. It was my faith in God (and hopefully theirs too), and my voice that spoke the prayer, but it was God who healed them. So I guess my answer would be, “No, I am not a faith healer, but rather one who has faith in God’s healing power.” I would also say that I do not believe that anyone else is a “faith healer”. There is only one healer. His name is Jesus.

Speaking of Jesus... not even He was a “faith” healer”. No, it wasn’t His faith. Although, because He was the only perfect human being ever he also had perfect faith and never doubted. Jesus told us, according to Mark’s gospel, that if we believe we have received what we asked for and do not doubt then we can have what we say (Mark 11:24). So I am not diminishing the importance of faith. The Master of faith also said according to Matthew’s account chapter 21 verse 21 that if we have faith and do not doubt we can tell mountains to jump into the ocean and if we believe we will receive whatever we ask for in prayer. James said that when we ask we “must believe and not doubt.” If we do doubt he said, “That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord...”

Faith is important, vital, necessary in the Christian life, but it applies to all our life and to all of us not just a select few. But back to “faith healing.” If Jesus wasn’t a “faith healer” then what about all the people He healed? Jesus was a COMPASSION HEALER. When He saw need He was “moved with compassion” or “had compassion on them.” The Greek work for “had compassion” or “was moved with compassion” is “splagchnizomai” pronounced “splangkh-nid’-om-ahee.” Maybe you’ve never heard anything like this unless you have studied in the medical field and studied “splanchnology.” This is the study of the internal organs or more commonly the study of the gut. This particular Greek word mentioned above is used, only in reference to Jesus, 12 times in the New Testament. The root word is used 11 times and is translated in the KJV as “bowels” 9 times and once each as “tender” and “inward affection.” “Splagchnizomai” as it was applied to Jesus, was translated either “moved with compassion” or “had compassion.” That means literally “felt it in his gut.”

When Jesus healed it wasn’t great faith that motivated Him. It was compassion. There was never a moment that He did not have great faith, but He healed when He was moved with compassion. I have observed through the that, in my opinion, the most effective medical professionals are those who have compassionate hearts. So, if I want to be more effective in healing, praying the prayer of faith, or however you would frame that experience in your own language, I need to be more compassionate, feel it in my gut. “Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.” Romans 12:15 (NIV)

Prayer: Lord Jesus, may I be more like You and feel the pain of those who hurt enabling me to be more effective in my prayers for them and ministry to them. In a world where we see so much hurt and pain it is easy to be calloused and hardened. May I be the giver or and recipient of the compassion of Jesus. AMEN.

Blessings!
Pastor Roger

No comments: