Monday, March 12, 2007

Falling Out

You’ve probably heard the story about the little boy who woke up in the night because he fell out of the bed. His mother heard what happened and came running to his room. As she helped him back into bed she asked him, “What happened that you fell off the bed.”

His reply was childish and loaded with simple childish wisdom. He said, “I guess I tried to sleep to close to where I got in.”

We do that with our Christian lives. We get in and then years later we are still hanging on to the edge and wondering why we fall out so often. The good news is because God loves us He is always there to pick us up and help back to where we were. But think about it with me. My mom easily helped me back in bed when I was a child. I learned really fast that the safe place is as far away from the edge as I can get so she didn’t have to help much.

But how about our spiritual lives, our personal relationship with Christ? Where are we living? How far are we from the place we got in. Have you grown, matured? How about your prayer life? How about your loyalty to church? How about your giving? How about your love for others? Do you still let little things get to you like you used? How about your habits? Have you replaced those bad habits with disciple habits? Have you moved away from the edge?

Sometimes we make the mistake of portraying God as this non-emotional being that speaks in monotones. But God made us like Himself so He must display emotions from time to time. In fact, He gets angry and experiences joy. I think on this topic He does what we do with our friends when they act immature. We look at them and say with frustration, “OH, GROW UP! Think God ever looks at us says, “OH, GROW UP!”

Prayer: Lord Jesus, I DO want to grow up in my relationship with You. I never want to stop growing or stop learning more about You. I never want to stop getting to know you better and better. Forgive me for my laziness in staying too close to the edge. Help me as I make the choice to move forward in You. AMEN.

Blessings!
Pastor Roger

No comments: