Monday, April 16, 2007

Cry or Try Again

Joshua 1:6-9 "Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their forefathers to give them. 7 Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. 8 Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. 9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." NIV

We often hear it said that people are the victim of their circumstances. I was reading an article the other day by Rene Godefroy. I have never heard of him, but I sure agree with his statement. He said...

“Most of us are so intoxicated by our failures and fears that they cause us to be stuck in situations we absolutely hate.”

The fear factor is a powerful thing in our lives. It can either paralyze us or it can be the factor that motivates us. We make the choice how fear impacts our lives. The lion is the king of the jungle not because he is the biggest or even the strongest but because his roar paralyzes with fear.

As God was launching Joshua into the leadership of a nation of people with a history of difficulty and victory, He specifically commanded Joshua. Yes, he commanded him. He did not say, “Now, Joshua, try to be strong and courageous.” He said three times, “BE strong and courageous,” and then the last time added, “Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged.” Is being strong and courageous or being terrified and discouraged a matter of choice? Apparently it is.

Mr. Godefroy went on to say, “We are allergic to failure. Thus, we are afraid to step out and take a risk. Here's what you might want to know: if you are not failing right now, your chances of ever getting what you want are slim to none.”

People who are successful in life and business are not successful because they avoid all pain and give in to their fears. No, in fact, they live on the edge and dare to do the things they are afraid of. A show that was pretty popular for awhile was “Fear Factor.” I liked to watch the show (except when they would do disgusting things like eating body parts of animals, bugs and worms, and other disgusting things) because it was inspiring to watch people face their fears and conquer them. You could see the terror in their eyes, but they would go on and do it. Even if they didn’t win the $50,000 they were winners because they conquered their fears.

Can you remember the last time you tried something that scared the living daylights out of you? If you can't, your dream will probably always be just a dream. The first time I stood as a teenager and publicly acknowledged that I was called to preach the Gospel I was terrified. It didn’t really help when someone told me I was the last one of the youth they ever expected to be a preacher. A real confidence builder! That fear was eclipsed by the fear I felt when a few days later I stood behind the pulpit and preached my first sermon. To feel the fear is one thing. To face it and conquer it is another.

Today I am comfortable speaking to audiences. Oh, to be sure, I never lose the wonder of God allowing me to do what I do, or the awesomeness of the responsibility of standing before people and being able with words to influence their lives, but I am no longer afraid.

As you know, life will throw you some curve balls that are difficult to hit. You will probably...no, you will certainly strike at times. Sometimes life will throw you a right hook to the face and leave you staggering. Some of you that are reading this right now are down. Yet others may have just received a big and painful blow and are about to fall down. Don't cry and give up. The secret is to pick yourself up and try
again. Someone asked Paul Harvey what the secret to his success was. He replied, “I get up when I fall down.”

You can either cry or try again. Take Joshua’s command from God as your own today. Make the choice to NOT be terrified or discouraged, to BE strong and courageous, to face your fears instead of cowering before them, to encounter them in the power of the Holy Spirit that indwells you.

2 Timothy 1:7 7 “For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.” NIV

Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You for the promises of Your Word that help me to conquer my fears. Thank you for the challenges before me and for the strength and courage to take them on and win. You and I are a team that can’t be beat! I really can “do all things through Christ who is my strength.” (Phil. 4:13) AMEN.

Blessings!
Pastor Roger

No comments: