Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Give to Caesar!

Yes, for those in the US, we have reached tax time (the middle of April)! Today is the day. We actually got two extra days this year. We've all heard the phrase that the only 2 sure things in life are death and taxes. Yes, taxes are unpleasant, but necessary. As Jim Rohn says, "You have to feed the goose that lays the golden eggs. Sure, sometimes the goose eats too much. But better a fat goose than no goose at all."

I have the same tendency that you do... to complain about taxes. I paid more taxes in advance this year than I ever have in my short history, but I sill owe taxes at tax time than ever before too. Now, while I was quietly complaining... quiet only because no one else was around at the moment to complain to... the thought came to me that there is an alternative to paying more taxes. It’s really very simple. Make less money!

Jesus admonished us, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's." Matthew 22:21 (NIV)

Now, I am a faithful, cheerful giver and tither. It is not a struggle at all for me to give to the ministry and tithe to the local church. It is never a question, and I love to do it. But Jesus didn’t really differentiate between giving to God and giving to the IRS (Caesar). He just said we are supposed to do both. So, now that I have repented I can say, “Thank God I can pay taxes.” Just as I tell you it takes money to run a church, it takes money to run a country. And no, I don’t like everything they do with the money we give them, but that is not an excuse to quit paying taxes. I need to begin to exercise the power of the American citizen to vote and speak to those who represent us and make laws reminding them that I pay their salary.

Bottom Line... there’s a whole lot more about this nation, these United States of America that I like than dislike. So as you write that check and pop it in the mail (at 11:59 p.m.) say a prayer of thanksgiving for God’s blessings in your life, and then say a prayer for this great nation and its leaders.

Prayer: Thank you for the privilege of living in a free nation. Thank you for your blessings in my life. Thank you for the privilege of paying taxes. Bless our leaders and our nation today and everyday. AMEN.

Blessings!
Pastor Roger

No comments: