Tuesday, February 27, 2007

More on Seedtime and Harvest

“The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor.” 1 Corinthians 3:8 (NIV)

I wrote yesterday’s devotional then picked up my devotional that I am reading by Max Lucado. I am a few days behind but this morning I read:

“Think for a moment of your heart as a greenhouse...And your heart, like a greenhouse can be managed.

“Consider for a moment your thoughts as seed. Some thoughts become flowers. Others become weeds. Sow seed of hope and enjoy optimism. Sow seeds of doubt and expect insecurity...

“The proof is everywhere you look. Ever wonder why some people have the Teflon capacity to resist negativism and remain patient, optimistic, and forgiving? Could it be that they have diligently sown seeds of goodness and are enjoying the harvest?

“Ever wonder why others have such a sour outlook? Such a gloomy attitude? You would, too, if your heart were a greenhouse of weeds and thorns.” —by Max Lucado in “Just Like Jesus”

Sounds like God is trying to get a point across, at least to me, and perhaps to some of you as well.

Everything in life is a seed. The law of the harvest is an immutable law. Folks, it’s not going away. We really do choose the seed that we plant. God doesn’t force any of them on us. However, we do not make the choice to sow seed. Everybody sows seed in life. We just get to choose WHAT seed we sow.

It makes me want to stop and think before I speak or act instead of just recklessly scattering seed without thought. I do believe in the powerful grace of God, though. I can ask God to help me to change my attitude and begin to sow good seed. He can even in His sovereignty not allow some of the bad seed to grow when He sees the good seed we begin to sow. One thing is totally in our control. You cannot expect to harvest what you don’t plant. You can pray all you want, but if you do not sow the seed the harvest will never come. God placed this law in the universe and even He is bound to it. It’s why He sowed the life of His Son so that we may have eternal life. Which reminds us that we do not sow for this life only, but for the life to come as well.

“For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.” 2 Corinthians 5:10 (NIV)

Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You for the law of the harvest. Father, thank You for planting the most important and powerful seed of all, Your son, Jesus. Thank you for salvation, for eternal life, and for an abundant life now in this temporal state in which we live. Help me today as I sow seed from my life that will not just bless me but others as well. AMEN.

Blessings!
Pastor Roger

No comments: